Title: Substitute Library Assistant (Part-time)
Location: Aram Public Library, Delavan, WI
Responsibilities: Under direction of the Library Director and/or Assistant Library Director, serve adults and children by providing circulation services, reference and readers’ advisory assistance, collection maintenance, presenting special programs, and participating in group projects.
Qualifications: Two years college, university, or technical schooling required as well as a strong background in word processing, spreadsheets and internet technologies. Spanish language and sign language knowledge desirable.
Compensation: $12.14/hour. Part-time flexible schedule including nights and weekends; 8 hours/week plus additional shifts as required to cover staff absences. No benefits.
Submit letter of application and resume including 3 references by March 31, 2017 to Anita O’Brien, email@example.com OR Aram Public Library, 404 E. Walworth Ave., Delavan, WI 53115. For further information, contact the library at 262-728-3111
Substitute Library Assistant Job Description
Typical Responsibilities of Position
Under general supervision, performs public service work and/or technical service work, serving library patrons directly or indirectly.
Duties/Examples of Work
1. Performs circulation desk procedures, such as checking materials in and out, registering patrons, collecting fines, etc.
2. Follows policies and procedures for registration, circulation, technical services, and reference.
3. Assists with collection maintenance, such as weeding and shelf-reading collections.
4. Assists patrons with reference and routine reader’s advisory service.
5. Directs patrons to proper staff for more detailed reference and reader’s advisory service.
6. Processes, withdraws, repairs, or reconditions library materials.
7. Assists patrons with computer use and operation of other library equipment.
8. Empties bookdrop and takes returned items to the proper place for checking in.
9. Performs light housekeeping.
10. Assists with programming as requested.
11. Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Abilities
1. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from patrons.
2. Ability to maintain confidentiality of library patron information.
3. Ability to follow detailed instructions.
4. Ability to operate library business machines properly, which may require knowledge of databases and search methods.
5. Ability to understand library policies and procedures and apply them to library operations.
6. Ability to use computer software and manage computerized files.
7. Ability to work independently, organize and prioritize work, respond to varied/changing work demands and make decisions as required.
8. Considerable knowledge of library methods and procedures and ability to apply them to library operations.
9. Good interpersonal skills and ability to maintain and foster cooperative and courteous working relationship with the public, peers and supervisors.
10. Keyboarding and filing ability.
11. Willingness to maintain skills in above-mentioned areas through active participation in appropriate continuing education activities and opportunities.
12. Working knowledge of English grammar and spelling.
13. Spanish language knowledge is a plus.
Physical Demands of the Position
1. Ability to work in confined spaces.
2. Bending/twisting and reaching.
3. Far vision at 20 feet or further; near vision at 20 inches or less.
4. Fingering: keyboarding, writing, filing, sorting, shelving and processing.
5. Handling: processing, picking up and shelving books.
6. Lifting and carrying: 50 pounds or less.
7. Pushing and pulling: objects weighing 300-400 pounds on wheels.
8. Sitting, standing, walking, climbing, stooping, kneeling and crouching.
9. Talking and hearing; use of the telephone.
1. Ability to apply technical knowledge.
2. Ability to comprehend and follow instructions: effectively follow instructions from supervisor, verbally and in written form.
3. Ability to deal with abstract and concrete variables.
4. Ability to interpret technical regulations and instructions.
5. Communication Skills: effectively communicate ideas and information both in written and verbal form.
6. Mathematical Ability: calculate basic arithmetic problems (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division) without the aid of a calculator.
7. Reading Ability: effectively read and understand information contained in memoranda, reports and bulletins, etc.
8. Time Management: set priorities in order to meet assignment deadlines.
1. A primary requirement of this position is to cover absences of regularly scheduled library employees as needed.
a. General work schedule will be two regularly scheduled four-hour shifts per week, with additional hours scheduled as needed to accommodate absence of Part-time Library Assistants.
b. Flexible work hours, including evening and weekend hours will be common
2. Inside work environment.
Audiovisual equipment, personal computer, book truck, calculator, cash register, copy machine, fax machine, library automation system, microfilm/fiche reader/printer, telephone.
Education and Experience
1. Two years of study at an accredited college, university or technical school.
2. Office technology background.
3. Library experience preferred.